Sunday, April 19, 2015

How do I get a Green Card for a family member?

Among the several varying paths to permanent residence, one of the most common ways to apply for a green card is through a family petition. This involves a family member of the foreign-born individual filing a petition with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services for an adjustment of status for the beneficiary.

Who can file a family petition?
To be able to apply for an adjustment of status for a beneficiary, you need to have either American citizenship or be a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder) and be an immediate relative of the beneficiary.

That means the beneficiary must fall into one of the following categories:


Child who is unmarried and under the age of 21

Parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old

Sibling of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old

Additional types of relatives may also qualify on a case-by-case basis. There are also other eligibility requirements that must be met by the applicant filing the petition:

Be physically present in the U.S.

Have been admitted or paroled in the country

Were inspected by a U.S. immigration officer

In some cases, you may have to wait to file the petition until a visa becomes available.

Applicants will also be required to submit fingerprints and go through an interview process. The filing fee for form I-485 can range from $635 for people under age 14 up to $1,070 to people ages 14 to 78, though the fee may be waived altogether in some cases.

What are my chances of petition approval?
USCIS determines the status of applications on a case-by-case basis; however, it does give preference to Spouses and the unmarried children of U.S. citizens. Spouses and children of permanent residents take second rank, followed by married children of American citizens and siblings of those with U.S. citizenship.

As you can see, Immigration can be a complex process.  The Law Offices of Keith R. Campbell has an experienced team of associates dedicated solely to matters of immigration and nationality.  Call our offices today at 855-636-3889 to schedule an appointment to begin the process of obtaining Legal Permanent Residence in the United States.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014


Welcome to our Immigration Law Blog! Check back for new, informative articles coming soon.

© 2019 Law Offices of Keith R. Campbell | Disclaimer
400 Corporate Pointe, Suite 300, Culver City, CA 90230
| Phone: 310-736-3889
59 Main Street, Suite 208, West Orange, NJ 07052
| Phone: 855-636-3889 | 973-436-1599

US Immigration | Jamaica Areas of Practice | New Jersey Areas of Practice | US immigration | Our Team

FacebookTwitterLinked-In Company

Legal Web Design By
Zola Creative Media